Chief Ouray Gun Club
Meeting Minutes – Regular Meeting
03/15/11 6:30 pm
Location: St. John’s Episcopal Church, Ouray
Meeting called to order at 6:40pm
Regular club officers present Bob Morss, Dave Coleman, Ira Knutson, Mike Ardoin, Gayle Buske, Craig MacCraiger, Rod Hodge
General members present: Barbara Cole, Bob Cole, Colleen Hollenbeck, Todd Jones, Erica Jones, Jim Buske
Non members present: Denise Borg, Shari Gardner
Minutes: Minutes from 02/15/11 were approved with no changes.
President’s report by Bob Morss – Fire departments do not seem to have an interest in burning the building at the range. Bob suggested asking a friend of his, who does fire prevention and fire fighting professionally, look at the building and see what the cost would be to get rid of it. All agreed it was a good idea to check.
Craig suggested having high school kids go into the building and remove fixtures like sink, toilets, etc. prior to any burn. Item was dropped because everyone in the room stated it was too dangerous (considering the abundant rat feces in the building and the related risk of the Junta virus) to allow anyone in the building, much less kids.
Treasurer’s report by Craig MacCraiger – Current balance is $4,802.92.
Bills: Property tax bill arrived in the amount of $350.28. Motion to pay passed.
Bill from Gayle Buske for envelopes, ink, paper, and stamps for the membership mailing, plus the cost of the new post office box (PO Box 1402) was presented in the amount of $162.28. Motion to pay passed.
Income: None reported though many membership renewals have been brought in as well as a few new members’ dues.
New members since last meeting:
1) David Huet
2) Brett Huet
3) Todd Jones
Renewed memberships since last meeting:
1) Gayle Buske
2) Jim Buske
3) Dave and Lori Ficco
4) Larry Coulter
5) Joey Huddleston
6) Roger Brower
7) Gary Jones
8) Charles Beckner (need waiver)
9) Parker McAbery (need waiver)
10) Louis Fogleman
Reports of committees
2011 Gun Show Committee Report
a. Recaped the following from the last gun show committee report:
a. Show will be once a year
b. Show was moved to October 1 and 2
c. Ryan at the Best Western has first dibs on food
d. There will be a bulletin board at the show, which will be used to place our supporters/sponsors’ advertising
There was much discussion over these decisions, which finally passed at vote.
Membership Committee Report
a. Nothing new to report
Goals Committee Report
a. Nothing new to report
Women On Target Committee Report
a. Nothing new to report
1) Ira requested the following be added to the agenda for the next meeting: Lifetime membership criteria discussion. Questions lifetime membership of Sara and Colby Cook. Brief discussion around Ken Orvis lifetime membership does not extend to Sara (Weber) Cook. Dave Coleman to confirm with Gayle Buske their membership status. After notifying Sara and Colby Cook, the status as lifetime members will be corrected in the membership listing.
There was much discussion and argument surrounding lifetime memberships. Board determined (and voted) that the kids of lifetime members shall not be granted lifetime membership. An adjustment to the membership list will be made with regards to Sara and Colby Cook, who were incorrectly noted due to poor information from Craig that they were lifetime members.
There was discussion raised by Ira that Cristy Orvis not be given lifetime membership status because she and Ken had divorced. Ken is a lifetime member. After much discussion, the matter was turned over to Bob to speak with Cristy about the same.
2) Ira also requests Disabled American veterans be offered “free” memberships. Ira agrees to refer this to this meeting. Bob asked that the Membership Committee make recommendations to the board about this topic. Bob invited Ira to come to the Membership Committee with his thoughts.
Colleen suggested a “scholarship” of sorts, where anyone can apply for a free membership. The club would set criteria. Membership committee would review applications and determine if the individual is worthy. Memberships would not be lifetime but rather yearly. The club would allot a certain number of free memberships each year.
Ira wants all disabled vets to have free lifetime membership. Colleen pointed out that there are easily 100+ DAVs in our local area, which could break the club.
Moved and passed to table this item.
3) Ira asked about other shooting events (trap, turkey, pistol, etc.). Ira wants to do a trap shoot in April. It was moved and passed that he be issued $200 of club funds to fund the shoot. Moved and passed that Ira form a Trap Shoot Committee to explore and arrange the shoot. Committee members are: Ira, Bob Morss, Bob Cole, Barbara Cole
1) There was no new business
1) RSO Training April 10, 2011 for $17. Contact Gayle.
2) Officer elections last Saturday in April (April 30) at 2:00 pm at St. John’s Episcopal Church in Ouray
3) Women On Target shoot in Pueblo on April 30
4) Friends of the NRA banquet in Norwood is May 14
5) Friends of the NRA banquet in Montrose is August 20
6) Women On Target shoot for Ouray is August 27
Adjournment: Meeting was adjourned at 7:50pm.
Gayle Buske, Secretary
In : Minutes